The following tips are intended to help improve your quality of sleep. By doing so, you will help improve your quality of life as well. Getting a good night’s sleep allows you to get the rest you need to be ready for the day ahead. And with every good night, there is chance for a good morning…and perhaps an even better day.
- Wake up at the same time every morning.
- Exercise regularly and be sure to complete your workout a few hours before bedtime.
- Eat right and be sure to avoid large meals two to three hours before bedtime. If you get hungry, have a light snack before bed.
- Avoid taking naps during the day, especially if you’re having trouble sleeping at night.
- Avoid caffeine too close to bedtime as it tends to keep you awake.
- Avoid alcohol and nicotine, which lead to poor, disruptive sleep.
- Keep computers, televisions, phones and other work-related materials out of your bedroom.
- Engage in a relaxing bedtime ritual to help you fall asleep. This might include aromatherapy, listening to music, meditation or soaking in a hot bath.
- Go to sleep when you feel tired. If possible, go to sleep at the same time every night.
- Make sure your mattress set and pillows are comfortable and supportive.
- Make sure your bedroom is dark, quiet and at a comfortable temperature.
- If you can’t fall asleep, get out of bed, go into another room and do something relaxing until you feel sleepy.
- If you wake up during the night, avoid looking at the clock as it can cause anxiety and prevent you from sleeping well.
- If you still have trouble sleeping, try keeping a sleep diary.
- If you have further concerns, consult a doctor for advice.